Table of Contents
1. The Ministry of Training has announced programs and updates to guidance the “Understand for Lifestyle” movement at this year’s Committee of Supply debates. These endeavours emphasis on nurturing numerous skills and expanding pathways, strengthening aid for lifelong understanding and creating sturdy partnerships in schooling.
Nurturing Diverse Skills & Growing Pathways
Larger Customisation and Adaptability under Complete Subject-Centered Banding (Total SBB)
2. Commencing from the 2024 Secondary 1 cohort, Complete SBB will be implemented in our secondary schooling system. Secondary 1 learners in 120 secondary educational institutions will reward from the Comprehensive SBB working experience, which presents better customisation and flexibility for every single student’s discovering.
3. To supply learners with obtain to a wide selection of schools, MOE will publish students to secondary college through three Posting Groups – Posting Team 1, 2, and 3. This guarantees range in college student profile and permits educational institutions to supply extra subject matter alternatives and a rich college experience. Posting Teams will only be used for the objective of facilitating entry into secondary university and to manual the matter ranges learners can offer at the start of Secondary 1. Once learners enter secondary university, they will have options to interact and find out with friends of distinct backgrounds, strengths, and pursuits, in mixed type lessons comprising learners from distinctive Putting up Groups.
4. Less than Entire SBB, pupils will also have bigger flexibility to customise their studying suited to their strengths, pursuits and understanding needs. As they development through secondary college, they will have options to take their respective topics at a a lot more demanding or much less demanding degree. Currently, learners are capable to give some subjects at a far more demanding stage. From 2024, this will be expanded to additional topics, such as Humanities subjects. Learners may well also supply some subjects at a considerably less demanding degree, like elective topics at the higher secondary degree.
5. As aspect of the shift to Complete SBB, MOE will also offer much more chances for learners to consider up topics and programmes that are stream-dependent right now. For example, Laptop Applications (CPA) is a standalone matter for N(T) college students at lower secondary today which will be discontinued, and Computing will be offered as an elective matter for higher secondary pupils of all learner profiles from the 2026 Secondary 3 cohort. From the 2027 graduating cohort, learners will sit for the new Singapore-Cambridge Secondary Schooling Certificate (SEC) examination. The SEC will mirror the subjects and issue stages that learners provide. Please refer to infosheet for much more particulars on Full SBB-relevant announcements.
Admissions to Write-up-Secondary Pathways
6. At present, the put up-secondary pathways of learners are mainly decided by their stream-primarily based matter combos. As college students will offer you a a lot more assorted mixture of subjects at distinctive subject matter levels arising from Comprehensive SBB, MOE has reviewed the admissions criteria for article-secondary pathways to offer a lot more solutions for distinctive learner profiles, although ensuring that college students carry on to have the fundamentals to thrive in their picked out pathway.
7. Much more students will have entry to the Polytechnic Basis Programme (PFP) from the Educational 12 months (AY) 2028 ingestion. Up to 2,600 college students using G3 topics or a combine of G3 and G2 topics will be qualified for the PFP per AY, up from about 1,700 students per AY these days. We are also reviewing the polytechnic Calendar year 1 admission conditions to much better recognise the diverse issue stages taken by students.
8. The present JC admission criteria continues to be pertinent and will be retained. The selection of a fifth 12 months in secondary faculty will also proceed to be out there for suitable pupils to tempo their learning and to obtain additional submit-secondary pathways.
9. Remember to refer to infosheet for extra aspects on the changes to article-secondary pathways.
Changes to A-Degree Curriculum and Autonomous College Admissions
10. MOE has also reviewed the GCE A-Amount curriculum and Autonomous College admissions, as section of our endeavours less than the ‘Learn for Life’ motion to increase holistic education and strengthen the development of 21st Century Competencies (21CC) in learners.
11. These days, JC/MI pupils frequently offer you four content-centered topics, as nicely as subjects like Basic Paper and Task Operate. Pupils may perhaps also offer Mom Tongue. Students’ functionality across these subjects at the GCE A-Amount exams are regarded as for admission into the Autonomous Universities.
12. The following variations will be released to rebalance the overall A-Stage curriculum load, lower the assessment stakes, and offer far more time and space for students to develop 21CC and go after their pursuits:
- From 2026, the fourth content-dependent issue will only be counted for college admissions if it improves a candidate’s score. This will allow JC/MI pupils area to pick out their fourth information-dependent subject matter by interest without the need of being overly worried by examination grades.
- Challenge Do the job will be graded as a “pass/are unsuccessful” subject from the 2024 JC1/Pre-U2 ingestion. By decreasing the evaluation stake, students will have more scope to take a look at their strategies and curiosity in troubles with genuine-globe apps. Pupils will require to obtain a “Pass” in Task Function for university applications.
- Standard Paper allows JC/MI learners to establish 21CC like vital and inventive considering through the review of present-day affairs and contemporary troubles of nearby, regional and world-wide significance. To help every single JC/MI scholar to create these kinds of competencies, all JC/MI college students will give General Paper as a compulsory issue from 2024. Understanding & Inquiry, which focuses on the mother nature and construction of awareness, will no extended be provided in lieu of Common Paper, but will keep on to be a contrasting topic for all JC/MI pupils.
- In a continuation of college-dependent evaluation modifications implemented in major and secondary schools to change absent from an around-emphasis on screening and academic effects, mid-yr exams will be progressively taken out for consecutive cohorts of JC/MI students from 2024. The removing of mid-yr exams will not be replaced by more faculty-centered assessments, and JCs/MI must not administer extra than just one weighted assessment per matter for each phrase.
13. Please refer to infosheet for details on the variations to A-Amount curriculum.
Strengthening Assist for Lifelong Finding out
Critique of Life span Cohort Participation Amount
14. MOE will enhance the “Lifetime Cohort Participation Level” for publicly funded university degrees from the latest 50% to 60% by 2025, for contemporary university leavers and adult learners. This signifies up to 2,300 much more publicly funded college locations in 2025 from 2022 levels, and weighted to enabling grownup learners from the workforce to obtain a college upgrading pathway. This takes into account Singapore’s extra manpower demand from customers across the economic system in the medium expression, though making sure great employment potential customers for our college graduates.
15. The transfer to a “Life time Cohort Participation Fee” marks a change away from the prevailing observe wherever education is frontloaded. With this maximize in subsidised college destinations, more people will be equipped to pursue a degree or upgrade their expertise at later on junctures in their lifelong studying journey, specially in disciplines suitable to the critical expansion areas in our economic system.
16. To support this move, the Autonomous Universities (AUs) are producing new diploma pathways and innovating the style and shipping and delivery of CET programmes. For case in point:
- SIT is piloting a new competency-centered model in applied computing that will allow in-employment learners to receive career-similar techniques in a bite-sized fashion as a result of micro-qualifications. People can stack these micro-credentials up to a diploma if they want to.
- Over and above levels and modular upgrading, the AUs are also growing abilities-based upgrading pathways to supply a lot more possibilities for adult learners. For example, SUTD is partnering Ecole 42 to provide a new competencies-based mostly pathway, for adult learners to get techniques wanted to go after a new career or enhance their employability in the electronic financial system.
Strengthening of Schooling and Placement Ecosystem: Pilot of Positions-Expertise Integrator and the Workplace Expertise Recognition Programme
17. To superior handle work-competencies mismatches and pair jobseekers with work vacancies in sectors that experience far more acute teaching and placement issues, SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG), jointly with Workforce Singapore (WSG), Business Singapore (EnterpriseSG) and Economic Progress Board (EDB), will pilot the Positions-Techniques Integrator (JSIT) which provides critical gamers (e.g. organizations, education providers and employment facilitation businesses) jointly to mixture manpower and abilities desire, activate provide of coaching, and help match skilled employees to careers. With the JSIT, providers and workers can hope more coordinated assist and larger ease in navigating the landscape of coaching and placement offerings.
18. The JSIT will 1st be piloted in the Precision Engineering (PE), Retail, and Wholesale Trade (WST) sectors. Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP) has been identified as the JSIT pilot companion for PE. The pilot associates for the Retail and WST sectors will be announced later on.
19. SSG, the Countrywide Centre of Excellence for Office Understanding (NACE), and the Nationwide Trades Union Congress (NTUC) will also jointly start the Workplace Expertise Recognition (WPSR) Programme. Enterprises under this programme will have the chance to attain the new Office Mastering:All set (WPL:All set) mark, which makes sure they have robust processes to empower powerful on-the-position understanding and enable their workers attain official recognition of the capabilities they have formulated at the place of work. For illustration, employees will be capable to achieve Singapore Workforce Skills Skills (WSQ) certifications through the Evaluation-only-Pathway (AOP), without needing to expend extra time attending external instruction classes. WPSR will enable companies in sectors supported underneath the Progressive Wage Model (PWM) fulfil the bare minimum teaching necessities that allow their workers to progress in their work roles, even though minimising operational downtime and more expenses.
20. The WPSR will be piloted in each the Meals Products and services and Retail sectors from 2Q 2023 and will be progressively expanded to extra sectors. Much more facts on the start and the application system will be designed readily available in owing class.
Solid Partnerships to Nurture Self-assured, Resilient Learners
Deepening school-business partnerships
21. MOE will aid much more partnerships among business and colleges to help students to gain a further appreciation of the capabilities and competencies needed in the office. Much more specifics will be shared when prepared.
22. MOE will also continue on to lover Mum or dad Support Groups, the Neighborhood and Dad and mom in Guidance of Educational facilities (COMPASS) council, government organizations, neighborhood partners, industry experts and mothers and fathers to fortify our students’ nicely-becoming and aid their holistic enhancement.
Maximizing School Partnerships Involving Common Schooling (Gen-Ed) and Particular Training (SPED) Educational institutions
23. More than the following number of many years, MOE will perform with Gen-Ed and SPED educational institutions to increase and deepen partnerships between these educational institutions beneath the University Partnership (Common Education and learning-Exclusive Instruction) product. These partnerships foster more significant interactions between college students who are in another way abled and improve teachers’ capabilities as a result of mutual qualified mastering. These partnerships also complement MOE’s rollout in August 2023 of two a lot more SPED Educating and Mastering Syllabuses on Interaction and Language, and Social-Psychological Mastering, to fortify the training of lifetime techniques in SPED colleges.
Nationwide Expansion of Uplift Community Community (UCN)
24. To strengthen upstream wraparound assist for additional pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds, MOE, in collaboration with the Ministry of Social and Family Enhancement (MSF) by way of its ComLink solution, will scale up the Uplifting Pupils in Lifetime and Inspiring Households Taskforce (UPLIFT) Local community Community (UCN) to go over all 24 Social Assistance Workplace (SSO) cities nationwide.
25. UCN has been working in 12 SSO cities due to the fact 2022. In 2023, it will be expanded to the 12 remaining cities – Ang Mo Kio, Bukit Batok, Bukit Panjang, Clementi, Hougang, Jurong East, Pasir Ris, Queenstown, Sembawang, Serangoon, Taman Jurong and Tampines. With this enlargement, the UCN aims to gain about 1,300 learners across some 110 schools this year, up from all around 900 students in 89 universities in 2022.